Saturday, September 15, 2007

Dr. Alex Brillantes and the Hazing Incident at U.P.

(Photo Caption: Dr. Alex Brillantes is shown during a public forum.

Last September 13, 2007 I met my friend and colleague, Dr. Alex Brillantes, Dean of the National Center for Public Administration and Governance (NCPAG) of the University of the Philippines-Diliman (U.P.), and his wife, Lulu, at a birthday party of a common friend.

During our brief meeting, I asked Alex about his situation amidst the controversy generated by the death of Cris Anthony Mendez, a 20-year old graduating U.P. student at NCPAG who died recently from hazing, associated with the initiation activity of the Sigma Rho Fraternity of U.P.

Alex told me that he felt very sad about the incident. Lulu also told me that one of the lowest points in Alex's life is to see Cris inside a coffin, surrounded by Cris's grieving family. Cris came from a family of very modest means and he was an honor student since grade school.

I hate to be in Alex's situation now. As a former school administrator (I was a former campus director of Philippine Science High School - Diliman) I know how it feels to be involved in a very stressful situation filled with conflicts.

To Alex, I pray that you be given enough strength to overcome this tragedy.

To the family of Cris Anthony Mendez -- I would like to express my deepest condolences. I also hope and pray that justice would prevail.

Hazing (in all forms) should be banned!

Raffy
9/16/07

No comments: