Friday, September 7, 2007

Monash University eNews

Monash University is an international university located in Melbourne, Australia. As an alumnus of Monash University (I took up my MSc./Ph.D. studies there) Ireceive regularly the Monash University eNews. Below is a recent news article from the Monahs University e-news that I would like to share with you...
.
Celebrating Monash's world-class alumni
September 2007
.

On 30 August, Monash celebrated the achievements of seven outstanding graduates at the University’s Distinguished Alumni Awards 2007. The honours, including new categories of awards for young alumni and for service to the Monash alumni network, were presented at a gala awards ceremony at Carousel, Albert Park.

Chancellor Jerry Ellis presented the 2007 Distinguished Alumni Awards to clinician and health academic Tan Sri Dato’ Dr Abu Bakar Suleiman (MBBS 1968, HonMD 1997) and eminent graphic designer Mr Richard Henderson (DipArtDes 1974).

In accepting his award, Tan Sri Abu Bakar reflected on those who taught him at Monash. “I had fantastic role models in the faculty, at the Alfred Hospital and at Prince Henry’s Hospital. These were people who were really great practitioners, but, more importantly, they were people who had very good values. They practiced good medicine, treated the patients very well and were ever-willing to teach,” he said.

As the first Faculty of Art and Design graduate to receive a Distinguished Alumni Award, Mr Henderson spoke about the importance of creativity and how his studies helped shape his future. “The highlight of my time at Monash Uni was actual finding my sense of purpose – to be a creative person. The University nurtured that idea, helped me to express that idea and I met my mentor there. It was the foundation for everything that I have done since,” he said.

(Source: http://www.monash.edu.au/alumni/enews/07-report.html )

I consider myself to be very lucky to have studied at Monash University under an Australian government (AIDADB) scholarship. In my future blog entires, I would like to feature some of my experiences as a student of this prestigious university.
Cheers,

Raffy
The Pisay '77 Blogger
9/8/07

No comments: