Saturday, August 25, 2007

My Batchmate Andy Santos























Fernando "Andy" Santos is my batchmate in high school (Philippine Science High School Class of 1997). He is a geologist.
Andy and I were classmates during our freshman year (1972-73) in section Jupiter.
We also stayed in the PSHS Boys' Dormitory during high school (1972-1977). We were both from the provinces (Andy is from Ilocos in Northern Philippines and I am from Bataan, a province west of Manila). Students coming from the provincese were given priority to stay in the campus dormitories. We were called 'dormers'. Those not staying in the campus dormitories were called 'externs'.
Andy seemed to me to be a very quiet person. But when he speaks, what he says are very sensible.
Andy is a geologist and a father of two daughters, Krizia and Lala. His wife, Lani passed away in May 2007 after a long bout of illness.

Last Thursday (8/23/07) I received an e-mail from one of Andy's daughters -- with attached pictures of Andy, his wife, and two daughters. She requested me to include the photos in the PSHS '77 blog that I did for the batch(See http://pshs77.blogspot.com/). I acknowledged her e-mail and thanked her for the photo contribution.

I would like to share to the public a beautiful piece that he wrote about his wife Lani...
8/26/07

Quote From Andy:
"
Thank You

Dear Batch-Mates,
The mortal body of my wife, Lani, was finally put to rest into the earth where it rightfully belongs on May13, 4 pm at Manila Memorial Park, Paranaque. However,I’m sure that her soul/spirit is now in heaven withour Creator, where there are no more tears, sickness and pain. She’s now in another life, a better life than here, after passing all the trials and tests that this world could give.
She had a lung disease since1997 (COPD-Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease) but she was very sick and bed-ridden for the last four and a half years: also sick with COPD but with “trache”("tubo sa leeg na nakakabit sa respiratory tract"), supplied with constant medical oxygen andasthma/emphysema/heart/kidney medications.
With the help of God we were able to prolong her life for another 10 years. During her sickness, her faith in and relationship with God/Lord Jesus Christ/HolySpirit continuously strengthened and grew; she was able to raise her two beautiful daughters well; and she was a good wife to me. She was also thespiritual/moral leader of our family and her extended family.
On my part, I learned how to care for the sick, love spiritually and unconditionally, to be patient,humble, kind, meek, gentle, and to have faith in God, which is the fruit of the Holy Spirit. In the process, I learned that the most important things in life areto have strong, good loving and friendly relationships with God, family, friends and other fellow human beings. Career and wealth should only be used as vehicles for living, service to others, to win more souls for Jesus Christ/God and to build-up His Church.
Also, for the past 10 years, I silently and patiently bore the expenses, trials and pain, until I asked for your help…
Thank you for your prayers, condolences and visits during my grief; and for your support during my times of need. Honestly, I was humbled and overwhelmed by the outpouring of prayers, sympathy and support during my hard/low times, which I have never experienced before. I also give thanks to God, to the Lord Jesus Christ, and to the Holy Spirit, Who have never left men or forsaken me; and to the saints (which includes theVirgin Mary) who have prayed for me."
-- Andy Santos

No comments: