Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Zurich (Switzerland) is World's Best City (to Live) in 2008

.
Link:

http://raffysaldana.blogspot.com/2008/06/zurich-switzerland-is-worlds-best-city.html

[Note: This blog entry was originally posted in "Raffy's World" on June 13, 2008. I am "recycling" it so it will appear in my Facebook Notes :D.]


Photo Caption: A portion of Zurich, Switzerland. Source:http://images.businessweek.com/ss/08/06/0611_mercer/source/2.htm


I read in Yahoo (http://www.yahoo.com/) that Zurich, Switzerland came out on top in the list of best cities in the world.

Below is an excerpt from the article (Source: Businessweek):


"Mercer Consulting's annual roundup of the global cities with the best quality of life is here, and Zurich once again comes out on top. The best place in the U.S.? Honolulu at No. 28.
New York, London, and Paris are internationally renowned cities but consultants at Mercer Consulting have picked Zurich, Switzerland, as the best place to live in the company's annual survey.


Consultants rated each city on a variety of factors including the level of traffic congestion, air quality, and personal safety reported by expatriates living in more than 600 cities worldwide. In the top 25, U.S. cities such as San Francisco, Boston, and Chicago were all edged out by Geneva, Switzerland, Vancouver, B.C., and Auckland, New Zealand. The highest-scoring U.S. city is Honolulu, which came in at No. 28."


Top 20 Cities :

1. Zurich, Switzerland
2. Vienna, Austria
2. Geneva, Switzerland
4. Vancouver, Canada
5. Auckland, New Zealand
6. Dusseldorf, Germany
7. Munich, Germany
7. Frankfurt, Germany
9. Bern, Switzerland
10. Sydney, Australia
11. Copenhagen, Denmark
12. Wellington, New Zealand
13. Amsterdam, Netherlands
14. Brussels, Belgium
15. Toronto, Canada
16. Berlin, Germany
17. Melbourne, Australia
17. Luxembourg, Luxembourg
19. Ottawa, Canada
20. Stockholm, Sweden

Link: http://finance.yahoo.com/real-estate/article/105235/The-World

Notes: It is interesting to note that 3 of the 10 top cities are in Switzerland and another 3 are in Germany. Also, the highest ranking city from the United States did not make it to the top 20 -- Honolulu, Hawaii, USA ranks no. 28.

Of the top 20 cities in the list, I am fortunate to have visited the following: Zurich, Vienna, Geneva, Vancouver, Auckland, Bern, Sydney, Copenhagen, Amsterdam, Berlin, and Melbourne (in fact, I lived in Melbourne, Australia for five years :) ).

I wonder, what are the ranks of Manila (capital ciy of the Philippines) and Quezon City (where I live) in the survey ???

Cheers,

Raffy
6/13/08
.

1 comment:

- jj said...

I just chanced upon your blog coz of the Pacquiao review. But I browsed a bit n I saw this one about Swiss. I just came back from Zurich yesterday and I agree that the place really amazed me!! I've never seen a more efficient transport system!! But too bad, I don't think Filipinos can ever be Swiss citizens.