Sunday, March 30, 2008

Message To The Graduating Class of 2008





31 March 2008, Monday.
2:55 a.m.
Loyola Heights, Quezon City, Philippines.

Today I will go to Bacolod City (Negros Occidental, Philippines). I am scheduled to be a graduation speaker to a group of students who are graduating from an information technology course at 2 p.m. My flight is around 8:00 a.m. and I have to be in the airport by 7:00 a.m.

This is the 3rd time that I will be a guest speaker to a graduating class. The first time was in 2003 when I was still director (principal) of the Philippine Science High School (Main Campus) in Quezon City. The second time was in 2004 – in a private school in Laguna. This time, I will be speaking to a group of students in a private school in Bacolod City whose specialization is in information technology.

As a graduation speaker, what is my message to this graduating class of 2008?

Here is the outline of my speech:

1. Customary greeting (Government officials, owners and administrators of the school, faculty and staff, parents, and graduating class).

2. Brief introduction. My experience related to information technology.

3. The important role of information technology in today’s society, particularly in the development of the country.

4. Their role (the graduating class): to their family, to the country, to the world, and to God.

5. Concluding remarks (some inspirational points)

a. Reach for your dreams (define what they want in life, what they want to achieve, what their personal mission statement is).

b. Strive for your goals (emphasize the value of hard work and discipline).

c. Search for the untarnished truth (emphasize the value of honesty and integrity).

d. Never give up. Learn from mistakes. Be an inspiration to other people. Be a person for others (value of sharing).

e. Final congratulation message.

Raffy Saldaña
3/31/08

No comments: