Photo caption: Members of the Scientific Review Committee (SRC) of the DepEd-Intel Philippine Science Fair (IPSF) are shown during a meeting held last January 5, 2008 at the Department of Education (DepEd), Pasig City, Metro Manila, Philippines.
IPSF used to be organized by the Department of Science and Technology Science Education Institute (DOST-SEI). However, starting schoolyear 2006-2007 the Department of Education (DepEd) replaced DOST-SEI in organizing the event.
This schoolyear (2007-2008) the IPSF will be held on February 14-16, 2008 (The exact venue is still to be announced).
Prior to holding the IPSF, each region in the Philippines holds a regional science fair. Each science fair has two divisions: (1) Life Science and (2) Physical/Applied Science. Each division has two clusters: cluster 1 and cluster 2. Cluster 1 includes public schools and non-science high schools while cluster 2 includes regional DepED science high schools and other science high schools under the DOST (for example, Philippine Science High School). Each cluster has two categories: (1) individual and (2) team.
Winners in regional science fairs are eligible to compete in the national level - the Intel Philippines Science Fair (IPSF) which is usually held in February of each year. It is in the IPSF where the Philippine entries to the International Science and Engineering Fairs (ISEF) are selected.
The ISEF is an annual international event sponsored by Intel and held in the United States of America (USA). Several countries all over the world participate in ISEF.
I have been a Grand Awards Judge in ISEF on two occassions: (1) in the ISEF held in Cleveland, Ohio, USA in May 2003 and (2) in the ISEF held in Indianapolis, Indiana, USA in May 2006.
I have also been a member of the Board of Judges (BOJ) in the IPSF since schoolyear 2003-2004. This schoolyear (2006-2008) I am both a member of the Scientific Review Committee (SRC) and the Board of Judges (BOJ) of the IPSF.
Last January 5, 2008, members of the Scientific Review Committee of IPSF met at the Dep-Ed main building in Pasig City to evaluate entries to the 2007-2008 DepED-Intel Philippine Science Fair. I belong to the SRC of projects under Physical/Applied Sciences division, cluster 1, individual category.
Our group evaluated the following entries:
1. "The Design, Construction and Evaluation of an Environment-Friendly Fruit Ripener with Gliricidia sepium (Kakauati) as an Additive", Jan Noriel Ines, Sinait National High School, Sinait, Ilocos Sur (Region 1)
2. "MORH: Jedoque Process of Increasing the Compressive Strenght and Lessening the Water Absorbency of Hollow Blocks", Jed Sidney T. Oliva Ballesteros National High School, Ballesteros, Cagayan, (Region 2)
3. "Construction and Testing of an Enclosed One-Pot Metal Rice Husk Fuelled Cooking Stove", Remundo Pena, Olongapo City National High School, Olongapo City (Region 3)
4. "Extraction of Silver from Used X-ray Films", Hia Cherylou D. Lecaroz, Joseph Marello Institute, San Juan, Batangas (Region 4a)
5. "Gabi Boom Spill", Mark Anthony C. Leido, San Teodoro National High School, Puerto Galera, Oriental Mindoro (Region 4b)
6. "Improvised, Flexible Magnetic Motor Control with Energy-saver for Single and Three-Phase Motors", Je Enate Deocampo, Capiz National High School, Roxas City, Capiz (Region 5)
7. "Power Color Combination: Homemade Water Color", Joerme T. Olivar, Faraon National High School, Jagna, Bohol (Region 7)
8. "Chlorine-Free Handmade Paper from Musa sapientum (Banana) leaves", Misamis Occidental National High School, Oroqueta City (Region 10)
9. "S. aureus, E. coli and P. aeruginosa as Bioindicators in Determining the Solar Ultraviolet Radiation Intensities", Kimberly M. Abay, La Filipina National High School, Tagum City (Region 11)
10. "Utilization of Chicken Feathers as Fiberglass Creation", Jeffrey Celso Mari M. Rafael, The Quantum Academy, General Santos City (Reg. 12)
11. "Semiconducting Property of NaCl doped Green Mussel (Perna viridis) Shells: An Innovation for Organic Semiconductor Systems", Jessel Fatima D. Cane, Bayugan National Comprehensive High School, Bayugan City (CARAGA Region)
12. "Natural Antifungal Mango Fruit Ripener", Geneva Dupali, Saint Tonis College (High School), Bulanao, Tabuk City, Kalinga, ( CAR )
13. "A Novel Voltaic Battery from Jatropha Curcas Fruit", Celerina M. Garcia, Tondo High School, Manila ( NCR )
The criteria for the scientific review of IPSF projects include the following:
1. Completeness (completed forms, signature and date: a. complete, b. incomplete)
2. Evidence of use of reference materials (a.adequate. b. inadequate)
3. Evidence of proper laboratory supervision (a. Yes, b. No, c. Needs certifications/data book)
4. Use of accepted research techniques
5. Use of pathogenic organisms, hazardous substances and devices/disposal of wastes (proper/improper)
6. Status of investigatory project (a. original concept of study -- does not violate intellectual property rights, b. with innovation, c. with violation found, d. needs changes/improvement, e. continuation of project)
7. Overall evaluation of project (a. approved, b. disapproved, c. conditional)