Friday, August 24, 2007

Meeting With Doctors: Research and Consultation


Last Thursday (8/23/07) I had a meeting with medical doctors at Medical City Hospital in Ortigas, Pasig City. I (together with some faculty members and students of the School of Science and Engineering of Ateneo de Manila University) have on-going research collaborations with some medical doctors of Medical City. (The Medical City is affiliated with the Ateneo.)

During our meeting I was in pain. My left shoulder and neck were aching. However, I could not bring it up (my pain) during the meeting because our group was absorbed with research discussions. Normally, if one goes to a hospital it is about getting some kind of treatment for an ailment. In my case, that day, it was primarily about research collaboration.

After our meeting (which ended around 7:00 p.m.) I went to the information counter of the hospital to ask where I could get treatment for my shoulder and neck pain. I was referred to the Emergency Room (ER). At the ER, some nurses and clinicians checked my shoulder and neck pain. I asked them the possibility of whether my pain was due to my car accident that happened last August 5, 2007 (See http://raffysaldana.blogspot.com/2007/08/do-you-know-what-to-do-after-car.html ). They also checked my blood pressure. The reading was unusually high: 160/110. They gave me a pain reliever and observed me for an hour. My blood pressure later went down to a level close to normal. (Note: I have hypertension and I am under maintenance medicine.)

That day, I went to the hospital (Medical City) for a one reason (research collaboration meeting) but I ended up in the Emergency Room for another reason (to get treatment for neck and shoulder pain)!

[I find this incident quite unusual so I wrote it in my Blog :) ]


8/25/07 in Quezon City

No comments: