Monday, August 27, 2007

'Pisay' and 'Bear Claw'

Another amusing incident happened to me last Saturday (8/25/07) -- the day when I watched the fim "Pisay (Philippine Science High School)" (See http://raffysaldana.blogspot.com/2007/08/pisay-movie-website.html).
Earlier that day I visited a friend in a hospital in Quezon City. At the lobby of the hospital, I was surprised to see a Merced Bakeshop outlet. To me and my highschool batchmates (PSHS Class of 1997) Merced Bakehop is equated with the pastry 'bear claw' -- a piece of bread shaped like the claw of a bear and with a brown filling (which seemed to be a mixture of chocolate and mongo). Merced Bakeshop is located near the corner of EDSA (Epifanio de los Santos Avenue) and Quezon Avenue. Before the existence of flyovers and MRT, Merced bakeshop was just walking distance from Pisay. When we were students in Pisay (some 30 years ago!) we regularly go to Merced Bakeshop to buy 'bear claw.

So, when I saw the Merced Bakeshop outlet at the hospital in Quezon City that I visited last Saturday, I immediately asked the saleslady if the shop sells 'bear claw.' I thought the last time I ate 'bear claw' was when I was still a student of Pisay way back in 1977. I was told that there were three pieces left. I immediately bought all the three pieces of 'bear claw'.

When evening came, I went to The Block in SM North Edsa to see the film Pisay together with some of my batchmates.

Since I did not have merienda in the afternoon of that day and I haven't had dinner, I started eating one of the 'bear claw' pastries that I bought from the Merced outlet while watching the film.

Then came another surprise of the day: During the second act of the movie Pisay [there were four acts: each act representing a shoolyear level experience of the eight main characters (students) in film] 'Matt' (the dormer) and 'Minggoy' (the kid with cancer) climbed the fence near the dormitory to go to a nearby portion of 'Parks and Wildlife'. At the park 'Matt' brought out a 'bear claw' and started eating it while he was having a serious talk with 'Minggoy'. Many people from the audience gave out a hearty laugh [including me who was also eating 'bear claw' like 'Matt' :) ] because they knew that 'bear claw' was associated with Pisay students during that period (1970s to 1980s).

I'm sure that those who did not recognize the connection between 'Pisay' students and 'bear claw' were wondering why some people were laughing when the scene being portrayed in the movie was a serious one :)

Long live 'Pisay' and 'bear claw'!

Cheers,

8/27/07

4 comments:

Allan Espinosa said...

Ahhh... un pala ung bear claw. hahaha

Rafael P. Saldaña, Ph.D. said...

Hi, Allan: Yes, that's the 'bear claw' but the version being sold by Merced Bakeshop now looks and tastes different than the one our batch (Pisay '77) used to buy 30 years ago. Mas masarap at mas malaki pa ang 'bear claw' noon. BTW, I found out also that Merced Bakeshop has an outlet in the 2nd floor of the Ateneo Cafeteria, near Blue Eagle. I think you can buy 'bear claw' there, too... Doc Raffy // [NOTE: Allan Espinosa is a member of Pisay 2002]

alovestory said...

Hi There! Maraming salamat for writing about bear claw from Merced. My barkada and I were discussing online what was the filling of bear claw and we couldn't quite agree... thanks to you for having this blog and mentioning bear claw... that seems to have settled it - chocolate and monggo. I suspect it was chocolate and red bean paste though. I'm from batch 78 here, Julie Siscar, now a Lee. I actually remember you, Raffy. And yes, our barkada is from the Girls Dorm of batch 78. One of us Googled "bear claw" and found your blog. Seems like bear claw had shrunk a lot since our time in Science, based on the pic you posted. Consider yourself lucky to be still in the country and still get a taste of bear claw once in a while, from surviving Merced outlets. Cheers to you.
Julie Siscar-Lee, Batch 78

Sandy Gilles said...

Dear Dr. Saldana, funny that you mention Bear Claw. Back in 1977, i was a high school student at CLARET School of Quezon City. I would get off the jeep at EDSA corner Quezon BLVD and walk to lauan study center, where i eventualy would meet CALOY ARCILLA. And i would stop by Merced bakeshop as well to eat Bear CLAW. Best regards and all good wishes to you and your classmates.... Sandy Gilles www.alexandergilles.blogspot.com, www.slideshare.net/sandygilles