Saturday, August 18, 2007

Two Weeks After My Car Accident: Thoughts on Fatalism

It has been two weeks since I had a car accident at the C-5 flyover in Pasig City (See http://raffysaldana.blogspot.com/2007/08/do-you-know-what-to-do-after-car.html ) but still the damage to my car has not yet been repaired.

I'm wondering: does fate has to do with my car accident? It seemed to me that several events colluded so that I would be at the C-5 flyover in Pasig City at 8:45 a.m. on August 5, 2007, so that my car would be hit by another car. I could have avoided being there, but the fact is that I was there.

But then, COULD I REALLY HAVE AVOIDED THE ACCIDENT?

This brings me to the subject of 'Fatalism'.

According to our friendly Wikipedia,


"[start of quote]

Fatalism is commonly referred to as "the doctrine that all events are subject to fate or inevitable predetermination."

More precisely, it can refer to at least one of three interrelated ideas:-

1. That there is no free will, and everything including human actions, could only have happened as it did. This version of fatalism is very similar to determinism.

2. That although human actions are free, they are nonetheless ineffectual in determining events, because "whatever will be will be".This version of fatalism is very similar to predestination.

3. That an attitude of inaction and passive acceptance, rather than striving, is appropriate. This version of fatalism is very similar to defeatism.

[end of quote]"

To me this is a frightening thought. That events would happen NO MATTER WHAT you do, they WOULD happen because they are predetermined.

Qe sera, sera. What will be, will be.

I tend to believe that we have free will, and that as human beings, we are responsible for our actions.

In every action, we have a choice. The decision we take is our responsibility.

But is this really the case? Can it be that even our manner of choosing and the choices we make are predetermined?

Raffy
8/19/07 in Quezon City

No comments: