Sunday, February 3, 2008

World Cancer Day

February 4, 2008 is World Cancer Day.

"Cancer is a leading cause of death around the world. WHO estimates that 84 million people will die of cancer between 2005 and 2015 without intervention. Each year on 4 February, WHO joins with the sponsoring International Union Against Cancer to promote ways to ease the global burden of cancer. Preventing cancer and raising quality of life for cancer patients are recurring themes." (Source: WHO, http://www.who.int/mediacentre/events/annual/world_cancer_day/en/index.html)

Many of my relatives and loved ones are victims of cancer: My only sister died from breast cancer at the age of 39. My grandmother (mother side) died from leukemia at the age of 65. Two of my aunts also died from cancer (one from lymphoma). Another aunt is undergoing cancer treatment. My 'partner in life' is a cancer survivor.

Some of my researches are about cancer. I have done work on modeling and simulation related to cancer. The topics of my Ph.D. students (one majoring in computer science and another majoring in mathematics) are about cancer.

To contribute my share in cancer awareness and prevention, I am launching today my blog on cancer: "Raffy's World: Cancer Blogs"

I invite you to visit my Cancer Blog site at http://mycancerblogs.blogspot.com/


Thanks you.


Raffy
4 February 2008

No comments: