- The Experience of the Grid
- Examples beyond e-Science
- Issues and new trends: Green Grid and Cloud Computing
- Cost considerations
1.0 The Experience of the Grid
Grids for e-Science: a success story so far?
Grids beyond e-Science?
- Slower adoption: prefer differnt environments, tools and have different TCOs
> Intra grids, internal dedicated clusters, cloud computing
- e-Business applications
> Finance, ERP, SMEs
- Industrial applications
> Automotive, aerospace pharmaceutical, telecom
- e-Government applications
> earth observation, etc.
- Industry also demostrated interest in becoming an HPC insfrastructure provider:
> on-demand infrastructures:
a. cloud and elastic computing, pay as you go...
b. data centers: data getting more and more attention
> service hosting: outsourced integrated services
- "Pre-commercial procurement"
> reserch-industry collaboration in Europe to achieve new leading-edge products
a. example: PRACE building a PTeflop Supercomputer
e-Infrastructure in Europe
a. research network infrastructure
b. computing grid infrastructure
c. data and knowledge infrastructure
d. a series of other products
Emerging new trends: Green Grid and Pay per ... CPU/GB
The Green Grid, IBM Big Gree and other IT industry initiatives try to address current HPC limits
Cloud computing and storage in demandAmazon EC2