Sunday, July 22, 2007

Trip to Japan, Day 1

(Photo caption: Aerial view of Tsukuba Science City in Japan. Source: )
( Note: This is a narration of my recent trip to Japan (from July 17 to July 30, 2007)).

Day 1, 17 July 2007, Tuesday.

I left my condominium unit in Quezon City at 6:30 a.m. and took a taxi to the airport (Ninoy Aquino International Airport or NAIA). I arrived in NAIA at 7:30 a.m -- my flight was at 9:00 a.m. via Japan Airlines flight No.746.

Our plane landed at Narita International Airport inTokyo, Japan at 2:00 p.m. (or 1:00 p.m., Manila time). After clearing the customs and exchanging money from US dollars to Japanese yen, I bought a bus ticket (Highway Bus counter near the information desk) to Tsukuba. Since the schedule of the bus to depart was at 4:20 p.m., I lingered around the airport arrival lobby a little bit, bought coffee, and checked my e-mails in the Internet kiosk (Note: Unlike at the Singapore Chianggi airport where there is a freeInternet kiosk, at the Narita airport, Internet access is not free: it costs 100 yen per 10 minutes (or less) of internate usage.)

The bus trip to Tsukuba was a bit scenic in the sense that we passed by rice fields and small roads, and not the superhighway. It was a cloudy day and there was a drizzle. We arrived at the Tsukuba bus loop at around 6:00 p.m. It was almost dark and wet. I stayed around at the bus information office a little bit, and later I decided to look for a place to have dinner, since I thought that I might have difficulty finding a place to eat at the AIST Guest House (the place where I was booked). I found a department store just across the bus loop -- the name is Q't. It was a nice place. I had curry rice for dinner and coffee and ice cream for dessert. After dinner, I took a taxi to Sakura-kan (the local name for the AIST guest house) and arrived there around 8:00 p.m. I was assigned to room number S128. After arranging my things and cleaning myself, I watched tv. All the 12 channels in the tv were in Japanese :). I easily fell asleep sinceI got tired from my trip.

(7/17/07 in Tsukuba, Japan)

No comments: