Sunday, July 29, 2007

Trip to Japan, Day 13




(Photo Captions: (1) Kegon Falls, (2) Lake Chuzenji. Source: http://www.jref.com/practical/chuzenji_lake_kegon_falls.shtml
{Note: This is a narration of my recent trip to Japan, from 7/17/07 to 7/30/07}

Day. 13. July 29, 2007. Sunday.

Today I visited two famous tourist spots in Nikko: Kegon Falls and Lake Chuzenji. From Nikko Park Lodge (where I was staying) I walked to the bus stations near the Tobu Train station. I bought a roundtrip ticket which costs 2,000 yen.

Here's an excerpt from the Nikko National Park brochure about Kegon Falls and Lake Chuzenji:

"The Ojiri River flowing from Lake Chuzenji corroded the lava of Mt. Nantai covered with quartz-phorphyry, and turned into a large waterfall, 96 meters long and 7 meeters wide at the foot. It gives forth a thunder-like noise together with twelve minor waterfalls nearby. The falls were named after the basic principle of Buddhism, "Kegon" or Avatamska.

Lake Chuzenji was originally named South Lake by Shodo-shonin during the Heian period. It reflects the sacred image of Mt. Nantai as it did in ancient times. At the end of a promontory in the lake stands Yakushi-do temple founded by Jikaku-daishi."

The weather was not good when I visited Kegon Falls and Lake Chuzenzi. It was raining; however, I was able to photograph the visible portion of Kegon Falls. But Mt. Nantai was not visible due to foggy and misty weather.

I was back at the Nikko bus station around 5 p.m. From the bus station I walked in the rain (with an umbrella) to the Nikko Park Lodge.

No comments: