Saturday, June 28, 2008

My Thoughts on the Manny Pacquiao vs. David Diaz Boxing Match, 6/29/08

.



Caption: Filipino boxing champion Manny Pacquiao KO'd Mexican David Diaz during their title match in Las Vegas, USA today, 29 June 2008.
.

So, what is Filipino boxing superstar Manny Pacquiao doing in my "academic" blog?

Well, today I was supposed to visit my parents in our house in Bacoor, Cavite; however, as I was preparing to drive from my condominium unit in Quezon City to Bacoor, it started raining, so I decided to watch tv while waiting for the rain to stop.

Then, I recalled that today (Sunday) was the Manny Pacquiao vs. David Diaz boxing title match (WBC Lightweight Title).

Since I was online, I checked my Twitter updates and lo! and behold my colleague Rommel Feria (Rom) has reported that Pacquiao won by KO (knock-out) during the ninth round.

When I checked the Philippine Inquirer Online I read a report that Pacquio indeed won by KO in the ninth round while the match was just being played on Channel 7 (GMA) tv.

Having known who already won I just amused myself with taking photos of the event (on my flatscreen tv) using using my digital camera :)

I congratulate Manny Pacquiao for winning the title match against the Mexican boxer David Diaz. Manny made history by becoming the new World Boxing Council lightweight champion and the first Asian to earn four world titles in four weight classes.

Having said that, I would like to say also that I am not a boxing fan and I do not particularly like this "bloody" sport. In fact, many people consider boxing as a "barbaric" sport. However, it is interesting to note that boxing is one of the very few sports where Filipinos excel.

Being a sports champion Manny Pacquiao should bear mind that he must strive to be a good role model to Filipinos especially the Filipino youth.

Being an academic, I wish that Filipinos could also excel in mental olympiads such as the International Mathematics Olympiad (IMO) and the International Olympiad in Informatics (IOI). To date, the Philippines has never won a gold medal in the IMO and has not even won any medal in the IOI. I also wish that someday, a Philippine team will win the ACM International Collegiate Programming Contest - the most prestigious programming competition in the world.

Since I am in my DREAM mode I also wish that someday a Filipino scientist will win a Nobel Prize (in physics, chemistry, medicine or economics).
.
Of course, it will help a lot if the Philippine government will support young Filipino talents in international science and mathematics competitions the way it is supporting Filipino boxer Manny Pacquiao (with a reported entourage of 60 (?) Filipino politicians and their families tagging along with the official state visit of the Philippine president Gloria Macapacal-Arroyo amidst the recent calamities -- typhoon and sea disaster tragedies -- besetting the nation).

Well, back to reality.... CONGRATULATIONS, Manny Pacquiao!

Cheers,

Raffy
6/29/08

1 comment:

- jj said...

Well, we should also hope for that much-coveted gold medal in the upcoming Beijing Olympics. If only they allow pro-boxers to join the event then Pacquioa could've easily get the job done, with or without the Lutong Macau!! Pacman will KO any opponent if he wants to!! ^_^